The Orange Tree, Preston
Preston was well known for its market gardens - the land and its position was, evidently, ideal for growing vegetables. A number of the proprietors of these businesses chose to offer refreshment to their customers and the Orange Tree was one such refreshment house.
James Hogg was the owner of both the garden and the inn in 1828 but while there are references to the garden in directories right up to 1940 there is no mention of the Orange Tree.
It is thought by some that the Orange Tree had a change of name in the early 19th century and became the Foxhunter's Inn but there is no documentary evidence to support this theory.
In the late 1950s, West Dene Estate was built on the site of Hogg's Gardens