The Village Hall, Preston Village
The hall is currently the headquarters of the 4th Tynemouth Scout Group who gave up the building at various times throughout the year to allow it to be used as a polling station for local and national elections. As the plaque on the front wall tells us, the hall was erected by public subscription in 1871 and was used for many years as a men's reading room and institute. Many are the tales in the village of wives having to go and retrieve their men from engrossing card games so that they could be fed. A look at the patchwork of different coloured bricks and the bright red roof tiles gives an idea of the many alterations and repairs the hall has undergone over the years.
Crossing North Road from the hall we arrive at Preston Terrace